The toasty bun.
Wishing you all a very happy new year! Hope you had loads of fun!
So, a year of adventure has ended. Yes adventure in a way that has been a roller coaster ride for me. The beginning seemed lovely but by the time it ended it taught me a lot, the hard way of course. Taking all my learning the positive way, here I start my new year, and I wish that it is more adventurous than the previous year, more fulfilling, more creative! I don’t want to settle for ‘okay’ this year. I want to go beyond my restricted limits, push and propel myself ahead! It’s okay if I make mistakes, fall, but at the end of the day I don’t want to spend my each day thinking that I wasted my day! By the way, how do you expect your year to unfold?
For this exciting new year of mine, I have made a completely new dish and decided to share the recipe with you. I made this dish, when my mum’s youngest sis had come to stay with us. My aunt is a very good cook herself. She and I share a very open relationship and I love to learn new dishes from her! She always says that whatever food you make, make it with all your heart and its bound to touch the person’s heart, and having her to give valuable inputs, I was more than excited to make this dish.
Pre-preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 Bread buns
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cabbage
- 3 Boiled potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1 Capsicum
- 4 Peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp. Chili powder
- 1/4 Turmeric powder
- 1/4 Black pepper
- Take 3 potatoes, put them in cooker. Pour 3 cups of water and keep the cooker on flame for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn off the flame and allow the cooker to cool. Once the cooker is cooled, remove the potatoes from the cooker, peel their outer skin and mash them in a bowl.
- Meanwhile, as the potatoes are being cooked, finely chop the onion (diced).
- Wash capsicum, tomatoes and coriander and finely chop them.
- Also, peel 4 garlic cloves and finely chop them. (This is one ingredient that has an unusual way of adding taste to food items, when added in right amount that is)
How to prepare
- Heat a shallow pan for about a minute and then put 2 tbsp. of butter.
- Put the chopped garlic and onions. Fry/sauté for about 2 minutes on low flame till the onions are slightly golden brown in colour and the aroma of garlic is released.
- Add chopped capsicum, cabbage and mashed potatoes. Mix this for about 2 minutes again. (You will see vapors rising as all these vegetables are cooked)
- Add chili powder, turmeric, black pepper powder and salt. Mix everything once again so that the spices are spread uniformly and let it cook for some time on low flame. (I added little water to this mixture as it felt too sticky)
- Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Take 2 dinner buns and slice them in half.
- Apply some quantity of the mixed vegetable mixture to the sliced buns.
- Heat a frying pan and add 1 tbsp. of butter. Place these buns on the pan and toast/cook for approximately 3 minutes. Do the same for other buns too.
- After they are cooked, remove them from the pan and keep on a plate for garnishing.
- Garnish these cooked buns with chopped onions, tomatoes and coriander (or any of the above veggie as per your preference), and serve hot.