The green dish.
Its summers! And my summer internship has started hence it took me a bit long to write this recipe. 🙂
When I was a kid, I always went to my native place in summer holidays. The holidays used to be long and we, cousins had fun joining activity classes. Specifically, my cousin sister and I were mischievous and we did everything that eventually would cause a headache to the elders. Small kids you know! *puppy face* Well, those were some beautiful and memorable days. In fact, we now laugh on the things we did. 😀 This summer, my sister came here, in Mumbai to spent some days with us. She is a foodie too and knew that the visit would definitely be a foodie one. As it turned out to be, I asked a dish of her choice that I could make. She quickly blurted out ‘Hara Bhara Kebab’. A north Indian dish which is both nutritive and tasty. And there I was, all set for making. Its called ‘Hara'(green) because it consists of green peas and spinach. When the kebabs were finally ready, both of us couldn’t wait to taste them! Yummm..! Do i need to say more? 🙂
Pre-preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 200 gram Peas
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
- Garlic-Coriander paste
- Handful Spinach
- 1 tbsp. of Gram Flour
- Corn flour
- 1/2 tbsp. of Chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp. of Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tbsp. Black pepper powder
- Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. of Curd
- In a medium-sized vessel, pour 2 cups of water and put the peeled peas and keep this on medium flame for 15 minutes. Bring the peas to boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. This makes the peas soft. (15+10 minutes)
- Now, take handful of spinach and wash is thoroughly. After the water drains from the spinach, chop it. Similar to what we did for boiling peas, again take 2 cups of water, put the chopped spinach and let it boil for 15 minutes on low flame. (If you want you can put both spinach and peas together, but I did it separately)
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes in cooker for 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the cooker and allow them to cool. Once the potatoes have cooled, peel the skin and keep them aside.
- Peel 4-5 cloves of garlic. In a mixer, grind the cloves with 1/2 tbsp. of cumin seeds and handful of coriander to make paste. (Add a small amount of water while grinding so that the paste is smooth)
How to prepare:
- In bowl, take the peeled potatoes, boiled spinach and peas.
- Put 1/2 tbsp. of chili powder and turmeric powder, 1/4 tbsp. of black pepper powder and salt as per your requirements. Also put 1 tbsp. of curd and 1/2 tbsp. of garlic-coriander paste. Mash all this together.
- Add 1 tbsp. of gram flour. (This acts as a binding agent)
- After mixing everything, make small-sized flat discs and roll/coat these discs in corn flour before keeping on the pan for shallow frying. (See picture)
- In a shallow pan, put 2 tbsp. of oil. (On medium heat.)
- Keep the corn flour coated discs on the pan and roast them lightly until they are golden brown in color.
- Serve with curd or tomato ketchup, both taste equally yum!